Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War IIEsmontSearch

The Dr. Reuben Lindsay House

Dr. Reuben Lindsay House, 2010

Name:  The Dr. Reuben Lindsay House

Date:  June 2010

Image Number:   CG91cdCG08

Comments:   The Dr. Reuben Lindsay House at 521 Harrison Street was built between 1800 and 1850.  The architectural style of this single-story brick house is Greek revival, and it has a full English basement.  Dr. Lindsay (1827-1881) lived in this home and was so highly regarded by townspeople that Lindsay Street near his home was named after him.  The house was later owned by Captain John Pitts, who conveyed it to the Reverend James E. Daniel, the Scottsville Methodist minister from 1920-1925.

Dr. Reuben Lindsay was a much beloved Scottsville physician and an active Mason in the local Lodge.  Upon his death on October 27, 1881, the headlines of the town newspaper read, "A Public Calamity, An Entire Community in Mourning!  Imposing Masonic Funeral."  The Presbyterian Church on Bird Street was packed with friends saying goodbye, and the Masonic rite for Dr. Lindsay was presided over by the Most Worshipful Grand Master of all Virginia, Peyton S. Coles of Estouteville.  Some 1000 mourners, double Scottsville's population, followed the hearse to the Presbyterian Cemetery (now named Scottsville Cemetery on Hardware St.).  The doctor's carriage horse, led behind the coffin, was dressed in black.  The doctor's faithful servant, Uncle Ned Jefferson, held the bridle, "The poors have lost their best friend!"

Copyright © 2018 by Scottsville Museum

Top Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD CG08



Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War

WWII    Esmont    Search    Policy   

Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247  · 
[email protected]
© 2018 by Scottsville Museum