Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War IIEsmontSearch


Shadows

Shadows

Name:  Shadows

Date:  2001

Image Number:  GD01CDGD01

Comments:   Shadows is a two-story frame house at 470 Harrison Street in Scottsville, which is believed to have been built ca. 1830 by a member of the town¹s founding Scott family.  A recently uncovered inner log wall indicates that a portion of the house is of even older construction.  The site of Shadows also contains historic outbuildings, including a separate summer kitchen and an original slave quarter.

The earliest documented owner of the house was Peyton Harrison, who also owned 21 acres of land along what is now Harrison Street.  Peyton Harrison then donated the 21 acres of land to the Town of Scottsville, who annexed this land and called it the "Harrison Addition."  Harrison also founded the Scottsville Presbyterian Church.  He was the grand nephew of Benjamin Harrison, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. 

The photograph above was taken by Gwynne Daye.  Gwynne resided in Scottsville in 2001 and was the President of Scottsville Museum.

Special thanks to Claire Christen Mellow, the current owner of Shadows, who provided key facts about Shadows!

Copyright © 2018 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD GD01
GD01CDGD01.tif
GD01CDGD01.jpg
GD01CDGD01.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War

WWII    Esmont    Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
[email protected]
Copyright
© 2018 by Scottsville Museum