Name: Esmont High School
Image Number: Esmont High School, UVA Library
Comments: Esmont High School is located at 7474 Esmont Road in Esmont and is a short distance north of
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church on that road. Esmont High School was built in 1922 as the area's white school.
According to Albemarle County records, the Esmont High School instructors were Mrs. H. Ward Jones, Mrs A.A. Douglas, and Ms. A.J. Dawson
from 1931-1932. Later, from 1937 to 1939, Esmont High School instructors were W.E. Hall, Felta Funkhouser, and Helen McMillan.
The former school has undergone renovation and now serves as an apartment building in 2018; see photos below:
Scottsville Museum wishes to thank Maxwell Johnson for his research and photographs on this Esmont
1) David Pinckney Powers Papers, 1888-1938, Accession #9377-a, 9377-b, Special Collections, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
2) Hallock, Jennifer; Gardiner Hallock & Kristie Baynard National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Southern Albemarle
Rural Historic District. February 2007.
3) Samuel Baker Woods Papers, 1894-1937, Accession #4648-a, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
Copyright © 2018 by Scottsville Museum
Top Image Located On: Esmont High School, 1922, University of Virginia Library.
Middle Image Located On: Capturing Our Heritage, CDMJ02
Bottom Image Located On: Capturing Our Heritage, CDMJ02