Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessEventsChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II  Search

Coleswood, Esmont

Coleswood, Esmont, 2000

Name:  Coleswood

Date:  ca. 2000

Image Number:  Coleswood_GISAlbemarle

Comments:   When Peyton Skipwith Coles sold Tallwood to William D. Waters in 1897, he reserved about 184 acres on the north side of Tallwood next to the Enniscorthy estate running from Green Mountain Road almost to Sand Ridge Road.  In 1903-1904, Coles erected a new dwelling house on this acreage with necessary out-buildings and farm buildings, and he called his new home 'Coleswood.'  The Coleswood lawn runs up to the woods which screen the house from the Green Mountain Road, and it is because of these woods that the house takes its name.  The front gate at Coleswood, which is a double gate made of iron with granite gate-posts, was formerly the front gate at Estouteville.  The Coleswood dwelling house was remodeled in 2004.  In 2018, the Coleswood property, located at 6198 Green Mountain Road in Esmont, is the property of the John C. Pierce Farm, Inc., and the company's registered agent is J. Paula Pierce.

Scottsville Museum wishes to thank Maxwell Johnson for his research and photographs on this Esmont community home!

1)  Hallock, Jennifer; Gardiner Hallock & Kristie Baynard.  National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Southern Albemarle Rural Historic District. February 2007.
2), Coleswood Farm, Parcel ID: 12000-00-00-015B0 .
3)  Coles, William B.  "The Coles Family of Virginia."  (New York:  Gateway Press, Inc., 1931; pp. 642-647).

Copyright © 2018 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:, Coleswood Farm (Parcel ID: 12000-00-00-015B0).



Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War

WWII    Esmont    Search     Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247  · [email protected]
© 2018 by Scottsville Museum