Name: St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
Comments: St. Stephen's Episcopal Church was established in 1914 and lies within the village proper of Esmont. Its address is 7484 Esmont Road, Esmont, VA. St. Stephen's is part of St. Anne's Parish, which was formed in 1745. Marmaduke Brown was the carpenter, who built St. Stephen's in the 1910's.
To learn more about the history of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, please read the following article authored by Elizabeth Wimer, which
appeared in The Scottsville Sun on January 10, 1951:
St. Stephen's is the newest of the three churches in St. Anne's Episcopal Parish, of which it is a part. It was built in 1914 under the leadership of the Rev. Elliot B. Meredith, who was rector of St Anne's Parish from 1910 to 1945. Other churches in the parish are Christ Church at Glendower and St. John's Church in Scottsville.
Prior to its erection, church services had been held in an old school building and then in the Odd Fellows Hall by ministers from various denominations, but there had been no church in Esmont.
Through the efforts of Mr. Meredith, with the cooperation of C.C. Steed and other interested church workers, funds were provided for the building of the church by the Virginia Diocesan Missionary Society of the Episcopal Church, and other funds were raised by the people of Esmont. It meant a lot of sacrificial giving and hard work on the part of the people, but they managed to raise their share in the cost of the church.
St. Stephens has had only two pastors -- Mr. Meredith and the Rev. Beverley Tucker, the present rector. When the church was organized, there were only one Episcopalian. Today there are about 26 members.
C.C. Steed continues to be an active worker for the church, serving as Sr. Warden of the vestry, church treasurer and Sunday School superintendent.
Mrs. Charles Hamner is church organist, assisted at times by other members.
Other members of the vestry beside Mr. Steed are William Heath, Joseph Adcock, and Robert Pace.
On the altar of the church is a vase honoring Mrs. C. C. Steed.
The church holds services every Sunday, twice a month at 10 am and twice at 8 am Sunday school is held every Sunday morning at 11 o'clock.
Because it is a small church, it deserves all the more credit for the good repair in which it is kept and the enthusiasm with which it is supported by those who are numbered in its congregation.
While there is no organized woman's society, many of the women of the church work earnestly in its interest and have contributed much to its progress.
Scottsville Museum wishes to thank Maxwell Johnson for his research and photographs on this Esmont
Copyright © 2019 by Scottsville Museum
WWII Esmont Search Policy
|Scottsville Museum · 290 Main Street · Scottsville, Virginia 24590 · 434-286-2247|
www.avenue.org/smuseum · [email protected]
Copyright © 2018 by Scottsville Museum