Name: Valley Street in Scottsville, Virginia
Date: Approximately 1898
Image Number: RollOneNeg14A
Comments: Burgess took this photo, the oldest in the collection,
with his camera pointing north up Valley Street and his back to the James River.
On the sidewalk at the left of the photo, a man can be seen standing on a short ladder
to light a carbide street lamp. At that corner, Main and Valley street intersect.
See the image below as a guide to these specific buildings:
(1) Dorrier Building (Corner of Valley Street and West Main) - served as a general merchandise
and feed-grain store for many years until its recent conversion to a grocery store.
(2-4) Carlton House - built c. 1840 and contained 3 entrances. Entrance 2 at the corner of
Valley Street and West Main was Dickinson's Drug Store; Entrance 3 at the center of the building
was the Carlton House Hotel with its lobby on the first floor and stairs leading to the rooms
upstairs; Entrance 4 was to Sclater Hardware Co.
(5) National Bank of Scottsville - David Pitts served as President and Walter Dorrier as cashier.
(6) Post Office and Griffin Building - constructed c. 1840, these two identical brick buildings
appear to be one structure. The first building was the town post office from 1884-1914.
(7) Livery Stable - located on the northeast corner of Valley and Main St. Buggy and stable
belonged to Charlie Harford.
(8) Fidelity National Bank - this bank was owned and managed by Jacinto V. Pereira. Dr. Wade had
his dental offices on the second floor of this building.
(9) Luther Lewis' General Grocery Store
(10) Moon Bank. Upstairs were the law offices of Hobhouse and Douglas Patterson.
Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum
Image Located On: Capturing Our Heritage, CDB2