Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


The Grove House

The Colonial House

Name:  The Grove House

Date:  March 2010

Image Number:   CG83cdCG08

Comments:  The Grove House at 385 Harrison Street was built ca. 1932 by Annie and Marjorie Nicholas on land purchased from the Presbyterian Church. The home was built on the site of the old Presbyterian cemetery with the stipulation that church members could use its bathroom.  A few years later, the Nicholas family converted their home into the a rooming and boarding house for teachers.  Between the mid-1930s and mid-1960s, a number of teachers at the Scottsville High School resided there.  In 1978, Jesse and Jacqueline (Beal) Grove bought this home and completely renovated it.


The above photo is from the Connie Geary Collection at Scottsville Museum.  Reference: U.S. Department of the Interior, National Register of Historic Places, Scottsville Historic District (Updated Nomination and Boundary Increase 12/3/2003; VDHR File No. 298-0024, Section 7, page 10).

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD CG08
CG83cdCG08.tif
CG83cdCG08.jpg
CG83cdCG08.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War    WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum