Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


Valmont

Valmont

Name:  Valmont

Date:  ca 1920's

Image Number:  Roll4Neg21A

Comments:    Pictured here is new Valmont, built after the Civil War on the 550 acres of land patented by Edward Scott in 1732.  This home replaced Scott's original manor house, which was burned by the Union Army during the waning days of the Civil War.  Valmont, now called Belle Grove, sits on top of a hill near Route 726 and overlooks Scottsville and the James River

The Scott plantation sat on the upper northwest curve of the James River's Horseshoe Bend between an old Indian ford and the mouth of the Totier Creek.  This ford was the only breach in a six-mile barrier of bluffs along the north side of the James and provided a natural landing place for James River boats to off-load goods for wagon transport to the north.  When Virginia established Albemarle County in 1744, county organizers selected this area to be Albemarle's first county seat.  Indeed Scott's home may have served as a temporary courthouse until the permanent courthouse was built on a hill about a mile east upriver.

After Edward Scott, a succession of people owned the property. John W. Gantt purchased about 500 acres of the plantation in 1852 and left it to his son, Henry Gantt. Henry served as Colonel of Scottsville's Home Guard that was called up by the Confederate Army in April 1861 and became the 19th Virginia Infantry.  In the waning stages of the Civil War, Union troops camped on the low grounds and meadows of Valmont, and when Colonel Gantt came home after the war, he found his invalid wife, living in the overseer's house. The Pitts family, who owned and lived on this property in 1908, found Colonel Gantt's sword hidden in a concealed closet next to the mantel in this house.

 

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDB5
Roll4Neg21A.tif
Roll4Neg21A.jpg
Roll4Neg21A.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War    WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum