Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


Lewis House

Lewis Home (now Wynnewood), 2010

Name:  Cliffview

Date:  July 2010

Image Number:   CG117cdCG08

Comments:   The Lewis House at 240 Warren Street, now known as 'Wynnewood', is a two-story, wood-frame home clad in weatherboard that was built in 1850 by the John O. Lewis family.  In March 1865, Union General Phillip Sheridan and George Armstrong Custer commandeered Cliffside next door, while lower-ranking officers stayed at Wynnewood and enlisted men camped on its lawns.  When the soldiers completed their mission of destroying the James River and Kanawha Canal and any food or materiel that might be used to support Confederate soldiers, they left Scottsville to join General Ulysses Grant's forces near Petersburg for the big push to defeat the Confederate Army.  The Lewis family's supply of food and horses were depleted due to the need for Grant to replenish his soldier's supplies 'off the land.'  When the War ended over a month later in April 1865, the Lewis family and Scottsville began the long, slow process of recovering from the damage caused by this raid.

In the 1890's, Dr. Adolphus Perkins Bowles, a dashing young doctor with flowing locks and big black hat from Fluvanna County, came to Scottsville to serve as one of its physicians.  On April 19, 1898, Dr. Bowles married Virginia C. Lewis, daughter of John O. and Sallie Lewis of Cliffside.  Sallie Lewis, widow of John O. Lewis, gave her daughter and new son-in-law three acres of Cliffside's lower yard and this Lewis house as a wedding gift.  After Dr. Bowles suddenly died on November 27, 1903, Virginia Lewis Bowles returned to Cliffside to help her ailing mother, Sallie Lewis.

Following is another view of the Lewis house, dated July 2010:

Lewis House, 2010

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Top Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD CG08
CG95cdCG08.tif
CG95cdCG08.jpg
CG95cdCG08.psd

Bottom Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD CG08
CG117cdCG08.tif
CG117cdCG08.jpg
CG117cdCG08.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War    WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum