Name: Wedding of Charles R. Dorrier and Clara Lee Pitts
Date: October 25, 1911
Image Number: B04cdB19
Comments: Charles R. Dorrier and Clara Lee Pitts of Scottsville gathered
for a wedding photo with family and friends on Belle Haven's front steps.
Charles was the son of William
and Catherine Ann (Ritchey) Dorrier, who owned and operated Mt. Pleasant Farm near Scottsville.
Clara Lee was the daughter of Captain John Lee Pitts and his first wife, Florence
Lindsay (Burgess) Pitts, of Scottsville. Charles and Clara Dorrier first lived at
The Cottage on Belle Haven's grounds; later they built Hill Top on James River Road.
Use the image below as a guide to the names of the C.R. Dorrier's wedding party.
(1) Kathleen Colley, daughter of Laura (Burgess) Colley. Kathleen was
the niece of William E. Burgess.
(2) Edward Dorrier, son of Walter S. and Cornelia (Burgess) Dorrier. Edward
was also the nephew of William E. Burgess and the newlyweds, C.R. and Clara (Pitts) Dorrier.
(3) Dorothy May Pitts (1909- ), daughter of Captain John Lee Pitts and Helen (Burgess) Pitts
(4) Katherine Elizabeth Pitts (1907-1992), daughter of Captain John Lee Pitts and Helen Amanda
(5) Stella Crisp Pitts (1907-1988), daughter of David Henry Pitts and Stella (Crisp)
(7) Charles Richard Dorrier (1885-1966) owned and operated C.R. Dorrier and
Company, a general store at the south corner of West Main and Valley Street in Scottsville
for fifty years. He also served for a period of time as Chairman, Albemarle School Board, and as a member of
the Ablemarle Board of Supervisors, Masonic Lodge, and numerous business and social
(8) Clara Lee (Pitts) Dorrier (1889-1951) was out-going in nature,
active in the Scottsville Methodist Church, and a busy mother. The C. R. Dorriers became the parents of
five children: Charles Richard Dorrier, Jr. (1913-1985); Sarah Elizabeth
Dorrier (1915-1986); John Lee Dorrier (1917- ); Lindsay Gordon Dorrier;
and James Lee Dorrier (1921- ).
(11) Benjamin Dorrier, brother of C.R. Dorrier and later married
(12) Walter S. Dorrier, brother of C.R. Dorrier and later also became the President
of Scottsville National Bank. Walter married Cornelia Burgess, a sister of William E. Burgess.
(13) Arthur Marion Pitts (1887-1932), brother of Clara Lee (Pitts) Dorrier, who married
Julie E. Holliday on October 12, 1910. Marion worked in railroad construction with his
father, Captain John Lee Pitts. Marion's mother was Florence Lindsay (Burgess) Pitts, sister
of William E. Burgess.
(17) Floyd Lindsay Pitts (1894-1962), who married first Martha G. Dillard on Feb 20. 1918, and
secondly, Hester McFarlane on June 2, 1921. Lindsay also worked in railroad construction with
his father, Captain John Lee Pitts, and Marion, his brother. Lindsay's mother was Florence
Lindsay (Burgess) Pitts, sister of William E. Burgess.
(18) Rev. Browne, minister of the Scottsville Methodist Church.
(19) John Lee Pitts, Jr. (1894-1984), brother of Clara Lee (Pitts) Dorrier, who
graduated from VMI, served in World War I, and later became an executive of General Motors Corp.
John was the son of Captain John Lee and Florence Lindsay (Burgess) Pitts, Sr.
(20) James F. Dorrier, brother of C.R. Dorrier, who later married Sarah Carrington.
Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum
Image Located On: Capturing Our Heritage, CDB19