Date: August 12, 1897
The Scottsville Courier was published beginning in 1877 and ceased publication in 1906. The August 12, 1897 edition of this newspaper listed its Editor and Manager as Frank T. Hill; Frank C. Moon was its associate editor and solicitor. This old newspaper listed many familiar family names as well as a glimpse of the business, social, and civic life of Scottsville around the turn of the century.
A committee, consisting of Jackson Beal, Z.F. Jones, and J.L. Moon, was appointed at a mass meeting at the Carlton House to consult with the President of the Alberene Railroad Company about having the railroad extended to Scottsville. In an article headed with "The Railroad May Come," the Courier reported that efforts were being made to make Scottsville the terminus for the railroad which was being built from Alberene to join with the C&O railroad and continue to Charlottesville. According to the article writer, "There is no reason on earth why the road should go to Warren instead of Scottsville, and as we said last week, if it does, our people have only themselves to blame."
Churches seemed to be cooperating nicely. One item stated that "The Dramatic performance recently given here by the ladies of the Baptist Church will be repeated tomorrow night at the Green Mountain Club House for the benefit of the Episcopal Rectory of St. Anne's Parish."
Several dramatic presentations and recitations were reviewed which sheds some light on what Scottsville citizens did for entertainment before television. There was an entertainment in Scottsville Hall which brought about $50, "cleared by the ladies" which was used to purchase lamps for the Episcopal Church. A "unique theatrical performance" was given by a group of young girls at the home of Mrs. D. P. Powers. Miss Lindsay Powers recited Tennyson's "May Queen," curling up on the sofa at the end of it, suggesting the tableau of "The Sleeping Beauty."
In a telegram received from Roanoke, the Democratic Convention had just announced the party's candidates---Maj. J. Hoge Tyler for Governor; Hon. Edward Echols for Lt. Governor; and Hon. A. J. Montague for Attorney-General.
A delightful German party was given for 75 couples at Vallena in Fluvanna, with music furnished by a string band from Buckingham, supper served at one, and dancing which continued until four. Hostesses were Mrs. William C. White and Mrs. Edward Moon.
Interspersed with the social notes were ads for patent medicines, one of which claimed to cure "everything but a broken heart."
A large part of the front page and back page was devoted to a serialized romance of the far west. A column at the left of this article on the front page listed the ads of local merchants and lawyers. In Scottsville, Frank C. Moon was the attorney; L. O. Haden was attorney in Palmyra and W.D. Patteson in Howardsville. Dr. J.P. Blair was a dentist in Scottsville and offered to visit interested patients in Buckingham, Columbia, Arvonia, and Howardsville.
Magazine subscriptions were being offered at three for $1. Other ads were for the druggist and pharmacist, V.B. Jeffries; R. J. Faris, real estate; Palmyra Hotel (board - $1 per day); R.M. Cleveland, Scottsville undertaker, who had just purchased a splendid new hearse; the Fidelity Bank, owned by Jacinto V. Pereira; and E. C. Butler & Co., who dealt in fresh meats, general merchandise, the tannery business as well as wallpaper. Also, W.E. Moon was offering "Gents' Furnishings."
Forerunners of the local automobile dealers were C. C. Harford, feed and livery stables on Valley Street, and T.E. Clements, saddle and harness maker.
Copyright © 2016 by Scottsville Museum
Scottsville Museum · 290 Main Street · Scottsville, Virginia 24590 · 434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum · email@example.com
Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum