Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


The Harris-Hill House

The Harris-Hill House

Name:  The Harris-Hill House

Date:  unknown

Image Number:  E03cdE01

Comments:  The Harris-Hill House was the home of Miletus and Frances Caroline Harris by the Civil War.  In the spring of 1864, Henry, their underage son, wanted to join the Confederate cause, but his mother was adamantly opposed.  One night Henry climbed out upon the porch roof while the rest of his family slept, slid down one of the columns, and escaped north to enlist as a Private in Mosby's Rangers. 

According to Albemarle County deed records, Mary Emory Hill purchased the Harris house on August 15, 1889.  Mary was the wife of Major James Christian Hill of Scottsville, and thereafter the home was known as the Harris-Hill house.  Descendants of the Major J.C. Hill family lived here for many years.  This home has since been razed, and its lot is now part of the Scottsville Baptist Church property on Harrison Street.

This photo is part of the Katherine Ellis collection.  Katherine resides in Scottsville and is the great granddaughter of Miletus and Frances Caroline (Grubbs) Harris.

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD E01
E03cdE01.tif
E03cdE01.jpg
E03cdE01.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War    WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum