Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


The Old Scottsville Methodist Parsonage

Old Scottsville Methodist Parsonage

Name:  The Old Scottsville Methodist Parsonage

Date:  June 2010

Image Number:   CG85cdCG08

Comments:   The old Scottsville Methodist Parsonage, located at 270 Jackson Street, was built circa 1855.  In 1879, under the pastorship of Thomas A. Ware, a committee consisting of one person from each of the eight churches on the Methodist circuit was appointed to inquire as to the propriety of building or purchasing a parsonage for the "Scottsville Circuit".  This committee later reported "at present not expedient to buy or build a parsonage in view of the fact that the boundary of the circuit is unsettled."  Up to that time, and for some years later, the pastor was either entertained or boarded in some home in the community.

Later a home for the pastor was rented for $100 per year.  In 1881, a motion was made that "the pastor in charge (A.C. Berryman) be appointed a committee of one with all the aid he may call for to build or buy a parsonage for the Scottsville circuit." In February 1885, this house was purchased by the Methodist Church for $1000, and it served as the home for the Methodist pastor until the parsonage was sold with plans to build a new one on a lot donated by Mrs. Helen Pitts.

In 2010, this former parsonage is a private residence.


The above photo is from the Connie Geary Collection at Scottsville Museum.  The information above comes from the 1995 History of Scottsville United Methodist Church in the Langden Mason Collection at Scottsville Museum.

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD CG08
CG85cdCG08.tif
CG85cdCG08.jpg
CG85cdCG08.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War    WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum