Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search

The Dr. Percy Harris House

The Dr. Percy Harris House

Name:  The Dr. Percy Harris House

Date:  2002

Image Number:  CG03cdCG01

Comments:  The Harris House on West Main Street was built in 1934 and served as the home and office of Dr. Percy Harris, a physician, farmer, and former Mayor of Scottsville (1943-1953).  The red bricks for this house came from the Brady School (later known as the Old Dispensary) that once sat on the south corner of Main and Valley Streets and was built in the 1800s.  Shown below is the receipt documenting Dr. Harris's purchase of these bricks for $75 in November 1933.  Today the elegant Harris House on Lot 166 overlooks the Scottsville Post Office.

       Receipt for Brady School Bricks, 1933

The image above is part of the Ranny Moulton collection.  Ranny resides in Macon, Georgia, and is the grandson of Dr. Percy and Innes (Randolph) Harris.

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Top Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD CG01

Bottom Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CD RM03



Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War    WWII

Search    Policy   

Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247  ·
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum