Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


The Governor Campaigns at Victory Hall

Victory Hall and East Valley Street

Name:  The Governor Campaigns at Victory Hall

Date:  1925

Image Number:  RollOneNeg24A

Comments:  Victory Hall with its arched entrance was built on the site of a former livery stable with brick from a local foundry on the lowgrounds of Snowden.  It was completed in 1918 around the time of the WWI armistice.  For many years it was the town theater and is now the local Municipal Building.  In this picture, Harry Byrd was campaigning for Governor of Virginia at Victory Hall.  To accommodate overflow crowds, microphones were put up on the exterior of the building so people in the streets could hear his speech.

See the image below as a guide to these buildings on Valley Street:

(1)  Victory Hall

(2)  Bruce Motor Company - a Ford dealership.

(3)  'The Palace' - home of Billy Beal, a longtime Scottsville bachelor.   Confederate veterans were fond of congregating on his porch to reminisce about war and life experiences.

(4)  Moon Bank - above the bank were the law offices of Hobhouse and Douglas Patterson.

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDB3
RollOneNeg24A.tif
RollOneNeg24A.jpg
RollOneNeg24A.psd

Victory Theater and East Valley St.

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War    WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum