Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


The Old Apothecary Shop

Old Apothecary Shop, 2010

Name:  The Old Apothecary Shop

Date:  2010

Image Number:  CG93cdCG08

Comments:  The Old Apothecary Shop, located at 510 Valley Street, was built ca. 1832.  This two-story brick building served as an apothecary where town doctors prepared drugs and medicinal compounds for their patients from 1876 - 1908.  That year, Dr. Luther R. Stinson and Dr. Benjamin L. Dillard, practicing physicians in Scottsville, found it inconvenient to keep their apothecary shop open as much as the public demanded.  So in 1908, the two doctors hired a full-time pharmacist, named Thomas Ellison Bruce, and the Scottsville Drug Company was born.  In the 1908 photo below, Mr. Bruce is shown standing behind the pharmacy counter of this drug store.  The medicine bottles behind him held the medicinal supplies he used to fill prescriptions.

Bruce's Drug Store, 1908

A year later, the two doctors sold their interest in the drugstore to Bruce, who continued its operation at this location until 1911.  That year Bruce moved his drug store to another building a few doors down on Valley Street and renamed it, 'Bruce's Drug Store.'  In 2010, this drugstore continues its operation under the same name directly across from Scottsville Museum on Main Street.


Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Top Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDCG08
CG93cdCG08.tif
CG93cdCG08.jpg
CG93cdCG08.psd

Middle Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDSD1
SD18cdSD1.tif
SD18cdSD1.jpg
SD18cdSD1.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War   WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum