Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


The Harris Building

The Harris Building

Name:  The Harris Building

Date:  2010

Image Number:  CG88cdCG08

Comments:  The Harris Building, located at 474-476 Valley Street, was built circa 1840 as a commercial building with living quarters on the second floor.  When her husband, Lafayette Harris, died in 1856, Martha J. (Minor) Harris began a millinery and dry goods store here to support herself and her three daughters, Florence, Nannie, and Etta.  The Harris women lived above the store.  In 1876, Florence Harris married Rev. McCutcheon and moved to Waynesboro, VA.  Etta and Nannie remained single and helped their mother run her shop, which sold lace, material, corsets and pretty hats. 

Sometime in the 1890s, Miss Etta Harris did a peculiar thing.  Her mother's store was just across the street from the quaint cottage called 'The Palace', home of Miss Etta's longtime bachelor fiance, Billy Beal.  Noone knew why Miss Etta did what she did -- took a pot shot at Billy one night when he came outdoors to fetch firewood.  Needless to say, the engagement was broken.

After the death of her mother and sister, Etta Harris continued the Harris millinery here from 1903 - 1928.  She was renowned for her numerous pet poodles and lived above this store.  Since 1928, the Harris Building has been home to various commercial businesses, including Dr. Jones' dentist office (1950's), the Scottsville Card & Gift Shop (2000), and today, the offices of A.Scott Ward Realty, Inc. (2010)


Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDCG08
CG88cdCG08.tif
CG88cdCG08.jpg
CG88cdCG08.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War   WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum