Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


The Beal Building

The Beal Building

Name:  The Beal Building

Date:  2010

Image Number:  CG87cdCG08

Comments:  The Beal Building, located at 380-398 Valley Street, was built circa 1841-1850 on Lot 148.  In 1850, Joseph Beal purchased the east half of this lot on which this large brick building with a slate roof stands.  Mr. Beal began his mercantile business in this building, and many Beal businesses were housed here over the following century, giving the building its name.  Over its history, the Beal Building's top floor housed the Scottsville Masonic Lodge #45 (1851-1880), the law offices of Thomas Staples Martin in the 1870's and 1880's, and the offices of Scottsville's Justice of the Peace in the early 1950's.

The photo below shows the Beal Building circa 1900 with Joseph Beal's two sons, William (Billy) and Jackson, standing on the platform in front of the Beal Building (Billy in dark hat at photo left, and Jackson in hat and leaning on the wooden crate at photo right).

The Beal Building, ca. 1900



Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Top Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDCG08
CG87cdCG08.tif
CG87cdCG08.jpg
CG87cdCG08.psd

Bottom Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDB28
B416cdB28.tif
B416cdB28.jpg
B416cdB28.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War   WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum