Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


Dr. J.P. Blair's Dental Office on Main Street

Dr. J.P. Blair's Dental Office

Name:  Dr. Joseph P. Blair's Dental Office on Main Street, Scottsville

Date:  Approximately 1912

Image Number:  RollOneNeg9A

Comments:  Dr. Blair operated his dental office on the second floor of this white building, located beside Mink Creek on the south side of Main St. The creek ran under this bridge on Main Street, and, as Mayor Raymon Thacker remembers, everytime Mink Creek flooded, the Blair and Moon (next door) buildings filled with muddy water.   In this photo, Dr. Blair stands to the left of the doorway.   In 1912, a little grocery operated on the Blair building's first floor.  The grocery was later replaced by a barbershop and shoeshine business.  See the image below as a guide to these buildings on Main Street:
(1)  Charles Moon's Mercantile
(2)  Dr. J.P. Blair's Dental Office
(3)  A low-slung building where Coleman's Store is now located (2001)
(4)  The Brady Building, located on the corner of Main and Valley St., served as the first public school building in Scottsville (1892-1908). In 1908 after the 'School on the Hill' was built, the Brady school closed and was later torn down.

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDB1
RollOneNeg9A.tif
RollOneNeg9A.jpg
RollOneNeg9A.psd

Dr.J.P.Blair's Dental Office

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War   WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum