Scottsville MuseumPhoto ArchiveBusinessCemeteriesChurchEventsFloodsFor KidsHomesPortraitsPostcardsSchool
TransportationCivil War World War II Search


The Old Tavern

The Old Tavern

Name:  The Old Tavern

Date:  ca. 1969

Image Number:  B250cdB25

Comments:  The Old Tavern is located on the north side of Scottsville's Main Street and across the street from the Herndon House and Colonial Cottage.  This two-story brick building shows the pioneer split-level composition of a single and double gallery, connected by a covered outside stair.  Although the exact date of its construction is unknown, the Old Tavern probably was built in the late 1700's to early 1800's.  With its close proximity to the James River and Kanawha Canal, the tavern fed and sheltered many canal travelers, boatmen, and freight wagoners to Scottsville.  Walking by the tavern today, the imaginative might hear fiddles and smell hot venison pie.

After its heyday as a travelers' rest stop, the Old Tavern building has been used for many purposes including serving as the office for the Scottsville News and Albemarle Courier in the 1940s.  According to one of its former newsboys, the News' pressman always required a shot of orange juice and vodka to steady his nerves before each press run.  Later this building was used as a private residence, and today in 2002, the Old Tavern has been restored and rented as office space.

Copyright © 2001 by Scottsville Museum

Image Located On:  Capturing Our Heritage, CDB25
B250cdB25.tif
B250cdB25.jpg
B250cdB25.psd

 

         


Museum    Archive    Business    Cemeteries    Church    Events     Floods    For Kids   Homes     Portraits    Postcards    School    Transportation    Civil War   WWII

Search    Policy   


Scottsville Museum  ·  290 Main Street  ·  Scottsville, Virginia 24590  ·  434-286-2247
www.avenue.org/smuseum  · 
smuseum@avenue.org
Copyright
© 2001 by Scottsville Museum